The CLAS Banner School Award originated in 2001 with the purpose to identify, recognize, and publicize schools with outstanding educational programs which serve as models across our state. Recognition is among all State Board districts with four exemplary schools selected from each district as a CLAS School of Distinction, resulting in thirty-two CLAS Schools of Distinction. Eight Banner Schools will be selected from the Schools of Distinction, one from each State Board district. The thirty-two CLAS Schools of Distinction are celebrated at an Awards Luncheon where the eight Banner Schools are announced. The honored principals and superintendents are recognized and presented with a CLAS banner to display in their school signifying this distinguished honor.
- To identify, recognize, and publicize exemplary program(s) within Alabama schools
The Banner School Process
- Superintendents nominate unique, exemplary, student-centered school-based programs which have shown proven success through the 2021-2022 school year
- Application information sent to nominated principals
- CLAS Banner School electronic application
- Recognition among all State Board districts
- District Selection Team application review within each State Board district
- Four exemplary schools recognized as a CLAS School of Distinction from each State Board district; 32 CLAS Schools of Distinction across the state
- 8 CLAS Banner Schools selected by an external review team; one from each State Board district
- Recognition of 2022 Banner Schools: Awards Luncheon, media release, CLAS School Leader magazine, CLAS website, and Convention congratulations
Banner School Selection Criteria
- Provides all requested contact & school information
- Describes unique student-centered school-based program
- Focus is on 2021-2022 program activities
- Evidences explicit activities which demonstrate an outstanding program
- Includes substantiated evidence of specific evaluation information used to determine program success through 2021-2022.
Nomination Process Begins October 17, 2022.
View Informational Video
Listing of All Banner School Recipients
2021 Banner School / Schools of Distinction Recipients